Wednesday, November 13, 2013

DIY Gold Shoe Rack


I blame Pinterest, but I'm obsessed with white and gold right now. *Christmas spoiler!*lol
This has somewhat influenced my decor tastes.

Hence, the gold spray painting of some originally black shoe racks I stumbled upon for less than a song!



Initially I was planning on simply purchasing a couple of small white bookshelves to organize and maximize the space in my closet, but these sort of ended up in my lap and I saw their potential. 

Plus, you can stack these units or place shelves in between two to create a third! Below is actually a combination of only two shoe racks!
Honestly they look like something you would find at Ikea or Walmart, but you can get them at Sam's Club for only $20 each.


Ok, here was my DIY process! :)
 
1. There are more than a few gold spray paints out there, but luckily I chose one that turned out to be just right for my purposes. Rust-oleum always seems to get the job don, but whichever brand you favor should work well.


2. Before assembly, separate all the parts and cover up any you do not want painted either by painter's tape or my own personal savvy time saver, sliding magazine pages under the metal frames to cover up just the glass! I taped one side of one shelf, but it took quite some time and I hated the thought of having to do that to 12 separate pieces... and then my ingenuity kicked in. Or my laziness lol.



 It worked out perfectly though! Just make sure the pages are secured with a few pieces of tape so the paint spray does not shift any paper loose.

3. Create or find a location you can canvas with a drop cloth and that is protected from weather elements. Array all the pieces for easy access, and apply 2 coats over everything. I recommend keeping the can about 8-12 inches away from the furniture. Let dry (in this case only 15 minutes) and perform any necessary touch ups.

  

 4. Don't forget to paint the hardware as it will be visible!

5. Assemble, et voila.

My new shoe racks!!! I heart them completely!!! 
Its just the touch of gold my eyes have been craving.






I think my shoes are finally happy. They all have a home.

I may need a third one... ;P



No comments:

Post a Comment